The most surfacing problem with Discord recently- ‘Discord stuck on checking for updates’. Now, Discord, unlike the other applications on your phone or computer, is built to update itself. There is no Update option that you may use to update Discord. But if you want to get things along quickly, we have such a suggestion. Press Ctrl + R on the keyboard when Discord is open. This will cause Discord to refresh its interface, as well as start the update if one is available.
Also, why we are for? To discuss and solve the update issue with the discord. As it turns out, the fixes are quite basic but you need to know exactly what the problem is behind the issue. One way to do that is to go through our article and follow the sequence of the fixes. We have designed this article in order to tackle the priority of errors which presumably renders the update issue with discord. Muster along.
- 1 Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates
- 2 Try These Solutions to Fix Discord Stuck on Update Issue
- 2.1 Run Discord as Admin
- 2.2 Inspect your internet connection
- 2.3 Change the name of the Discord Update File
- 2.4 Turn off the proxy server
- 2.5 Disable your firewall for the time being.
- 2.6 Change the name of the Discord update file.
- 2.7 Check the status of the Discord server.
- 2.8 Install the Discord app again
- 3 FAQs | Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates
- 4 Closure | Discord Stuck in Checking for Updates
Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates
Discord does feature a few minor flaws that can occasionally attempt to spoil a gamer’s experience. Many players encounter an issue where Discord becomes stuck on Checking for updates, especially after updating to the latest version.
So, if you’ve had a similar experience and are looking for a solution to solve Discord stuck on checking for updates, you’ve reached the right place. Here, we will guide you through five fixes that you can take to resolve the problem.
Why isn’t Discord updating?
Discord update failure can be caused by a variety of factors, including discord server troubles, internet connectivity issues, antivirus blocking the update, and corrupted files, to name a few. Whatever the case may be, we’ve compiled a list of the most effective solutions for discord update issues in Windows 10.
Discord could well be stuck on checking for updates for a variety of reasons, including:
- Because the Discord client for your PC does not have administrator capabilities, it is unable to complete the update procedure.
- You may be experiencing a poor or unstable connection to the internet, or a network outage, as a result of which Discord is unable to download the latest files.
- By mistaking the essential update files for malware, Windows Defender or the antivirus installed on your PC may be blocking Discord from installing the update.
- Your computer’s Discord cache files may have become corrupted. If this is the situation, you must first remove Discord, then erase all Discord-related files before downloading and reinstalling them from the official website.
Try These Solutions to Fix Discord Stuck on Update Issue
Run Discord as Admin
To apply upgrades, the Discord app may require administrator authority. If you find Discord repeatedly asking for updates, it’s possible that it receives the updates but misses to install them due to a lack of admin access. Many users have learned how to fix the update cycle by using Discord as an admin.
- Make sure the Discord app is closed (double-check if the Discord symbol is in the system tray; if it is, right-click and select shut).
- Right-click the Discord application shortcut icon on your desktop and choose Run as Administrator.
- When the UAC prompt appears, select Yes, and then check that Discord has launched. The upgrade should now be complete.
Inspect your internet connection
To download discord updates from their server, make absolutely sure you have a stable internet connection. If your Discord-enabled device is unable to load websites such as Discord.com, check your connection to the internet and try to access Discord again.
You can reset your modem and router, which will most likely solve various internet connection issues.
Change the name of the Discord Update File
A misconfigured Discord update file may also cause the discord looking for updates loop to appear. In that situation, you must force Discord to download a newly updated file by modifying the old one:
- Close Discord, and if necessary, use Task Manager to kill any ongoing Discord operation.
- Press the Win+R together, then type percent localappdata% and press Enter.
- Now, change the name from Update.exe to UpdateX.exe in the Discord folder.
- Then, restart your computer and open Discord. Discord will begin installation after downloading a new updated file.
Turn off the proxy server
When Discord update fails to install or you’re stuck checking for updates, here’s what you should do.
- Click OK after pressing Win + R and typing inetcpl.cpl.
- This will open Net Properties, where you can navigate to the Connections tab, click on LAN settings, and deselect ‘Use a proxy server for LAN.’
- Click OK to save your changes, then open the Discord app to see if the updates were installed properly.
Disable your firewall for the time being.
In addition, perform the instructions below to temporarily disable the Windows firewall.
- To open the firewall.cpl file, press Win + R, type firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
- Select the radio selection to switch off the windows defender firewall for both options, then click ‘Turn windows defender firewall on’ or off.
Change the name of the Discord update file.
You can have trouble installing discord updates if the discord update file is damaged. Rename the Discord update file to compel Discord to download a new copy and the problem will be resolved automatically.
- Discord should not be running, or it should be closed via task manager.
- Hold down the Windows key and the R key at the same time. Press Enter after typing percent localappdata%.
- Rename Update.exe to UpdateX.exe after finding and opening the Discord folder.
- That’s all there is to it; now open Discord.
Check the status of the Discord server.
If the Discord server is down, you may have various issues with the Discord software, including such discord stuck on reconnecting voice or waiting for updates. Check here for any partial outages that may prevent updates from being delivered to your device. If everything is going well, keep an eye out for the discord servers’ real-time status.
Install the Discord app again
The final option is to reinstall the Discord app. Let’s kill any remaining Discord processes, erase any local Discord files, and reinstall it from the ground up.
- Launch the task manager. Find Discord in the lists of processes, click it, and then click End Task.
- If there are numerous Discord instances, choose one by one and click on End Task.
- Now, press Win + R, then type appwiz.cpl, and hit OK.
- This will open the programs and features box; locate the Discord app and right-click it to select uninstall.
- To delete the Discord app from your PC, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Then, press Win+ R, type percent localappdata%, and click OK. Find the Discord directory and delete it.
- Restart your computer after opening the percent appdata% folder and deleting the discord folder.
FAQs | Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates
1. How do I force Discord to update?
Launch Run, then type percent localappdata% and hit Enter. Then navigate to the Discord directory and look for update.exe. To compel Discord to update itself, right-click on this and select Run as administrator.
2. Quick explanations for Discord’s inability to update
The following are the four reasons why the discord update failed:
- Cache Problems
- Files That Are Corrupted
- Errors in the Network
- Windows Administrator Privileges
3. What is the 502 Bad Gateway problem on Discord?
The 502 Bad Gateway problem on Discord indicates that you will be unable to enter Discord and is caused by one of the server to which you are connected. Because it is a server-side error, there is nothing you can do but allow time for the Discord crew to resolve it. The Discord staff is usually quite quick in this regard, so it should be rectified soon.
4. How to Contact Discord Support to resolve the Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates issue?
The fixes mentioned above have been reported to resolve the majority of user issues; nevertheless, if you’re still unable to upgrade Discord, and none of the above solutions have worked, contact Discord support. Click on this link to raise a ticket.
Closure | Discord Stuck in Checking for Updates
It is a hope that after reading this article on how to fix- ‘Discord Stuck in checking for updates’ you are well suited now with all the fixes and solutions for the same. We tried to keep it simple and comprehensive so that all the problems and causes responsible for causing the issue are taken into account. The steps mentioned early above are in themselves just enough capable to solve the discord update issue. However, we understand that there is a possibility your problem is unique. So, if there is any, do not hesitate to reach out to us via the comment section below.