If you own a pair of Apple AirPods, irrespective of the version, you might have faced some issues with the sound output after some time. The problem with the sound isn’t because of some faulty hardware or software, but rather something fundamental to electronics in general. If you have an old pair of Apple AirPods, you must be wondering why does my AirPods sound muffled? Well, we have compiled all the possible explanations for that and how you can fix them.
Wireless earphones have been around for a while now, and many earphone companies came up with their version of earbuds. Apple AirPods might be late to the race, but as always, they set an industry standard for wireless earbuds. Every other player tries to match the built and sound quality of AirPods. Even after being the industry standard, Apple AirPods still run into the basic issue of wear and tear.
Why Do My Airpods Sound Muffled? | All Possible Explanation
You must have noticed that your Airpods don’t sound the same. If you are wondering, why does my AirPods sound muffled? And are looking for answers, then this article is for you.
And before you go blaming Apple for giving you a faulty pair, take a good look at your AirPods. One of the biggest reasons for the sound to get muffled is an obstruction in the canal. With use and lack of proper maintenance, the sound canal of the AirPods gets blocked by earwax, lint, or other stuff. In order to get your AirPods to sound like new, you will have to clear the sound canal of any obstructions. Stay tuned if you want to know how to clean your AirPods without damaging them.
Clean Your Airpods | Troubled By The Muffled Sound Of Your Airpods?
Now that you have had a look at your AirPods and are aware of the issue, you must be, how can I clean them without voiding the warranty or damaging them permanently. Don’t worry; we have a detailed step-by-step method that you can follow to clean your AirPods without voiding your warranty.
It is recommended to clean your Airpods every 3-6 months; it not only keeps them from sounding muffled but is also necessary for longevity. Follow the below-mentioned steps to clean your AirPods.
Procedure For Cleaning Your Airpods | 100% Working Fix For All Airpods
In order to clean your AirPods, you are required to have the below-mentioned tools
- Microfibre cloth
- Q Tips
- Paper towel/Tissue paper
- Screen cleaner/Glass cleaner
- Isopropyl Alcohol/Rubbing alcohol
- Compressed air(Optional)
Once you are ready with all the required tools, start following the below-mentioned steps to clean your AirPods.
- Wet the Q tips with some isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol. This will soften all the ear wax and loosen up the lint and dust.
- Use a Q tip to spread the alcohol evenly on the grill of the AirPods. Applying the alcohol will make sure that the grill is evenly cleaned and the wax is removed properly.
- Let the alcohol sit on the grill for at least 3-5 minutes. Leaving the alcohol for that long will loosen up the wax and dirt.
- Now take the toothpick and start scraping the grill with very little pressure. Make sure the pressure is enough to get rid of the wax but still gentle enough not to break the grill.
- Once done, use a paper towel/tissue paper to wipe off all the gunk buildup from the AirPods.
- Use the microfiber cloth to get rid of any residual gunk.
- Place the AirPods on a table in such a way that both of the grills are facing downwards. This will ensure that any liquid which might have gotten inside the AirPods migrates out.
- Once dried, try using them; you will realize that the amazing sound quality is back and crystal clear like a new pair.
- Repeat the same procedure for the other Airpod.
Once the obstruction is cleared, the AirPods will start sounding like new. However, cleaning doesn’t always fix the issue. If the sound still sounds muffled or the volume is lower than usual, here are some possible reasons.
Unstable Bluetooth Connection
One other prominent reason for low sound quality or muffled sound can be an unstable Bluetooth connection. Make sure whenever you are connected to the device, you stay in the vicinity of it. Bluetooth is designed for short-range connectivity, and whenever you move away from the device, it starts to distort.
So make sure that you are in the vicinity of your device whenever using a pair of Bluetooth earphones. Try to stay within a meter of your device to get optimal sound output.
These are two of the most prominent reasons behind the deteriorated sound quality of your AirPods.
Cessation | How To Fix Muffled Sound Of Airpods?
Airpods might be the industry standard for wireless earphones, but even they can run into issues if not appropriately maintained. If you have a pair of Apple Airpods, then at some point, you are going to wonder, why do my AirPods sound muffled?
Don’t worry; we are here to assist you. We have included a detailed step-by-step guide on how to clean your AirPods. If you find this article helpful and the fix we mentioned worked for you, then share it with friends. If you have something to add, then feel free to write to us down below.